Kitesurfing Sri Lanka = top kite spots & locations


Travelling to Sri Lanka and enjoying the best kitesurfing spots in Sri Lanka


Hi guys! It is time to tell you how my kite trip to Sri Lanka was, a magnificent destination that is becoming very fashionable and that you also must discover. The kite spots in Sri Lanka are the best!
Before visiting the island, I recommend that you read some guide on the most important places to visit and especially inform yourself about the weather.
If what you want is to kite the best months are from May to October and from December to March. I went in August and I was looking daily at what the wind forecast was. It was windy every day, so what I did was to visit the most important cultural places, like Anuradhapura, Sigiriya or Polonnaruwa. The last two weeks of my trip to Sri Lanka I dedicate them exclusively to the practice of kitesurfing, a sport that really fascinates me.
From the central area of  the country I went to Kalpitiya, a village located at the end of a peninsula in the west of the island. I had booked a room at the Margarita Village, a kite camp that is carried by super nice Spanish guys. This kite camp is not located in front of the kite spot although I did not see many other accommodations that were in the lagoon since the beach is quite narrow and I do not think they can build hotels at this point.
I was kiting almost every day with my 9-meter Nobile kite and the experience was brutal. The wind in the lagoon is a bit gusty although the streak is well supported. They told me that in the winter months the wind comes from the other direction and that when it enters the sea it is perfect.
Actually, the kitesurfing spots in Sri Lanka are some of the best in the world
I also visited the Vella Island spot with the guys from Margarita Village and I was amazed. Vella island is very long sand island with super flat water. Attention! Do not go to Vella if you are a beginner since the wind is off-shore and you will not be able to return. The boys of the MArgarta Village have a rescue boat in case you must rescue someone.
Another kite trip I recommend doing in Sri Lanka is the downwind organized by the Margarita Village, from the famous Dream Spot to the island of Ippantivu. It is a downdwind that takes about an hour and the landscape is spectacular. I was lucky enough to be able to kite between super nice islets and without other kiters around. The good thing about Sri Lanka is that it is a country that is still not very exploited and for kitesurfers this is perfect. The day we did the downwind it was quite windy and I had to put all the time of depower. The water was also very choppy, even so this kite trip is one of the best experiences I had in Sri Lanka
Guys do not doubt it; Sri Lanka is going to be the next reference in the kitesurf trips and you have to visit as soon as possible before the destination becomes massive. Nowadays the kitesurfing spots in Sri Lanka are not really crowded but we never know what is going to happen in the future














Comentarios